From the Eye of the Storm

Here's a brief update on our crazy busy lives over the last month....

Chris had the chance of going snowboarding in Whistler for free as a chaperone with his school so he took that opportunity up. He got to ride the new peak-to-peak gondola as a little lunch break. I think it was a good start to the snowboarding season for him.

Chris and Mike on the Gondola

Gondola going the other way

View from the peak-to-peak

Gondolas

A bunch of us headed down to Mt. Baker a few weekends ago. I borrowed Bonnie's snowboard and it worked like a charm and even made me want to go again some day. The trails and the weather probably had something to do with it too. Instead of cold wind and pelting snow like I usually experience, it was a beautiful sunny day. It could've been a little less icy on the hill but other than that it was perfect snowboarding day. This first picture is what I get when I ask Chris to take a picture of me snowboarding....

Does anyone see a snowboard in this picture? Didn't think so...

Eric

Josh and Cassie

Chris

All of us at the top

Besides the odd snowboarding fun I have definitely hit the busiest time of my practicum. I've been the full-time teacher for two weeks now and I have four more weeks to go. This last week I had to take two sicks days because of a nasty cold so that sort of put a wrench in some plans. I'll have to play a little bit of catch up this week. Teaching has been going quite good so far, it feels natural to be the teacher already so it should be smooth sailing from here. There is one challenge that I face everyday in one student but she actually did really well last week so hopefully that will be a trend for her. Let's just say she can have some pretty big outbursts over any little thing and you never know when she might blow. She's in the middle of getting psych testing done so we'll see if they can determine what sets her off because there doesn't seem to be a way to calm her down once she's in her "hissy-fit" stage as she likes to call it. In one way it's good that I don't have this magically perfect class for my internship because if I get a handle on dealing with challenging kids now I'll be better prepared for my classes in the future. But I'm also pretty good off because other than this one student, the class is a very good group of kids that make it easy on me.

Chris is also very busy these days, report cards just went out and basketball is almost winding up. He has his first playoff game tomorrow which they should win because they are #2 playing #7 but now I probably just jinxed it. Oh well, it's about time basketball is over. Someone needs to make supper. And that's not going to be me in the next 4 weeks. Just kidding...sort of.

What else...not much. Or lives have pretty much been consumed by school these days. I'm already starting to feel a little more relaxed with it though, there's not as much to prepare for now that I have an idea of everything I need to teach and have worksheets and whatnot made up and ready to go. Just lots of marking from now on.

So to end things off I leave you with a picture of what happens when you're so busy that you lose your brain (my husband's of course). For some reason he thought it was a good idea to put oven mitts in the microwave after taking food out of it. This was the second time he did it so I had to get proof to show how he acts when he has too many things on his mind.

Category: 0 comments

0 comments: